Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Courage...

you never know what the one thing in your life is going to be that changes you
and everything you believe

 I've never been in an abusive relationship, and I can tell you that will never happen. Nobody deserves to be threatened, beaten, pushed around or hurt in any way, shape or form. However, unfortunately, to many that is not the case. This morning, a vulnerable, young innocent lady walked up to me.  Broken and in tears she asked if she could borrow my phone real quick.  I hesitated, but said yes, of course...here you go.  She dialed the number, with tears streaming down her face...no answer.  I asked her if she was ok, if there was anything I could do.  She replied, I need to get to a shelter, I'm scared.  I have two little girls upstairs, and we need to get out of here.  Instantly I said, ok, not knowing her background or situation, I could see the pain and anguish in her eyes, she was scared and needed hope and help.  I told her to get her stuff together, and I would bring them.

I waited for her to come back, not sure if she would...but she did! She had both little girls in her arms, and a huge amount of courage in her to ask a complete stranger for help.  I buckled the kids into the car, and drove these girls to a safe place, a place I know where she will receive the help and care she needs in this type of situation. 

I walked them in, the person behind the desk greeted us warmly, and guided them into a private room. I explained what little I knew, and proceeded to leave. She kindly thanked me, as did the counselor and I walked out. 

I hope and pray that this will be the start of a new and better life for this young girl and her sweet babies.  I hope that they can wake up tomorrow with a sense of comfort, and peace.  I'm grateful that I was at the right place at the right time, that I possibly helped save the lives of those three people.  And that I brought a little ray of encouragement and hope to them. I don't know if they'll go back into that situation, I hope they don't, but for tonight, I can rest assured that they will be safe and away from harm. 


You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt,

No comments:

Post a Comment